What is a PET CT scan?
Pet CT scan can easily be considered as one of the most advanced scanning techniques since the beginning. As a matter of fact, PET CT scan is the process of scanning a human body by a radioactive ray for the purpose of detecting any specific part of the body where the cells are more active than normal. This specific imaging test is being widely used in multiple medical sectors to reveal how exactly the organs and tissues are actually functioning. The technique is so advanced that sometimes it can even detect any hidden disease unbelievably before it gets caught in any other similar type of scanning technique. As a matter of fact, a specific type of dye is used in this test as a tracer, which is injected in the patient's body and the tracer helps the medical experts to find out how exactly the organs and tissues are working.
Why is it done?
The wide use of PET CT scan can be seen for the purpose of determining the presence of cancer in a human body. Most of all, it can be considered as one of the major ways to examine the chemical activities that are running in the body. PET CT scan can help the medical experts get images with more details, which helps them examine the patient more clearly and find out a perfect cure for wellness. Some of the basic uses of PET CT scan are,
- Cancer: PET CT scan is widely used in detecting cancer in patients. A PET CT scan can help to determine the presence of cancer, know how much the cancer has been spread, find cancer recurrence and also to gain information about the treatment response during cancer.
- Tumors: Tumors in several body organs can be detected through a PET CT scan such as brain, colorectal, cervical, melanoma, lung, lymphoma, head and neck, pancreatic, thyroid, prostate etc.
- Heart disease: PET CT scan can effectively show the specific areas of decreased blood flow in a person's heart. This is considered as one of the major reasons why PET CT scan is one of the most effective ways to detect the presence of certain heart diseases. Besides, it can also be very useful during a coronary artery bypass surgery.
Apart from all these, certain kinds of brain disorders can also be detected through a PET CT scan. This is why PET CT scan is still one of the most useful scanning methods since the beginning.
How is it done?
Before starting the scanning procedure, generally a tracer is injected in the body of the patient. The scanning process starts after a few while because the body requires a certain amount of time to fully absorb the tracer. The patient is asked to lay down on a narrow table, which will be attached to the PET machine. The table smoothly slides in the PET machine when the process starts.
All you need to do is to stay still when the scanning process is in progress. During that time, the patient needs to lie still otherwise there remains a chance for medical experts to get distorted images captured. The machine keeps recording all the necessary images, which will later be examined by medical professionals. Once the entire process is done, the bed slides out of the PET machine.
How do you prepare for a PET CT scan?
There are certain preparations to be taken and certain rules to be followed before somebody appears for a PET CT scan. Some of them are mentioned below for you,
- Each underaged patient should certainly be accompanied by an adult.
- Previous medical scanning records like CT, MRI or X-ray should be carried on the day of scanning.
- Any kind of metallic object like ornaments or anything else like that should never be carried inside the PET machine.
- It is always suggested to wear loose garments when somebody is appearing for a PET CT scan.
- Inform the specialists if you have any records of having allergic reactions.
- Inform the doctors if you have any uneasiness of going inside a closed surface.
The patient, whoever the person is, must not be accompanied by any pregnant woman or child. Apart from that, you must inform the doctor if you are pregnant or undergoing any specific medical condition. Also do not forget to mention if you are on continuation of breastfeeding.
What happens after the test?
Soon after the process of PET CT scan is over, the doctor will be giving you some instructions and after that you can just go back to your daily life. As we all know, some trained specialists will be interpreting the images captured during the process and they will be letting you know if anything suspicious has been found. You will probably be suggested to stay hydrated most of the time so that the water can flush the tracers out of your body.
What are the risks of PET CT scan?
Instead of being one of the most advanced scanning methods, there are certain risks that are involved in a PET CT scan. Some of them are mentioned below for you.
- The contrast material that is injected before the process starts can be the reason for certain allergic reactions.
- It can expose your baby to radiation if you are breastfeeding.
- If you are pregnant, it can expose your unborn baby to the radiation used in PET CT scan.
All these are the major reasons why you should certainly inform the doctors if you are pregnant before appearing for a PET CT scan. However, also inform them even if you are undergoing any medical condition.
What can you expect during and after a PET CT scan?
- During the procedure: The contrast material will be injected in your body before the process starts. You will be asked to lay down on a narrow table. The experts will suggest you to leave any metallic object you are carrying out of the PET machine. Before the process starts, the narrow table will be smoothly sliding into a big machine. You will be instructed to lay still on the narrow table when you are inside the machine and the process is going on. You will be hearing some noises and buzzing sounds when the images of your internal organs are being captured.
- After the procedure: The doctors will have a conversation with you about the results and will let you know if anything suspicious has been found. After that you can go back to your daily life. They will also suggest you to drink plenty of water so that it can flush out the contrast material that was injected in your body before the procedure started.
What do the results mean?
The experts will be interpreting the captured images very carefully. If the chances of the existence of cancer is detected or any other hidden disorders are detected, they will inform you and will also be suggesting further steps to be taken. However, you should also inform them if you are not feeling well after the contrast material has been injected so that they can explain what to do next.
Cost of PET CT Scan in India
Although the price range may vary as per the standard of the hospitals, generally the cost of a PET CT scan may start from 10000 rupees and can be upto 27000 rupees.
How Pet CT is useful?
It goes without saying that it is literally impossible to find out any hidden major issue of a human body without a proper Pet CT Scan. In brief, Pet CT scan is mostly for those disease that can not always be cured through medication. Besides, measuring treatment efficacies in a proper manner has never been so easier before the implementation of Pet CT Scan facilities. Now a day, the greater percentage of diagnostic centres and healthcares have come to know about the key benefits of a Pet CT Scan, and that is why each of them has taken a great initiative of turning the plan of involving the PET CT Scan facilities into a grand success.
PET CT scan undeniably plays a key role in revealing several kinds of crucial information. Besides, it also helps the doctors have a prominent idea about the activities and functionalities of cells and tissues of a human body. Besides, this is one of the most concerning questions for the doctors in most of the critical conditions that 'what will be the next step'? Fortunately, a Pet CT scan can also play a key role to help the doctors understand the exact required procedure of medications in a proper manner.
Role of Pet CT Scan in Cancer Detection
In today's advanced world, this is literally impossible to imagine a cancer hospital or a diagnostic centre without the facility of CT Scan. It becomes massively difficult for any group of certified doctors detect the exact condition of a cancer patient or to find out the exact stage of cancer without checking the Pet CT Scan report. In other words, only a proper Pet CT Scan can help the experts detect the unusual activities of cells in any specific part of a human body. Besides, this is only possible for the doctors to know about the absolute stage of the cancer through a proper Pet CT Scan.
Apart from all these, cancer can easily be considered as one of those deadliest diseases that generate no symptoms at the initial stage, and that is one of the prime reasons why detecting cancer has always been one of the biggest deals for most of the patients without going for a proper Pet CT Scan. Fortunately, the facility of Pet CT Scan is now available at your nearest location too, that can also passively reduce all your worries in this regard.
Whole body Pet CT Scan
No matter what the time is, consuming the best possible services of a Whole body Pet CT Scan is not challenging anymore as 'Thyrocare' is now even bigger with the complete cooperation of 'Nuclear'. Knowingly, the failure of going for a health check-up on time has already taken a gigantic number of innocent lives all over the world. So, let the best diagnostic centre of the country be the end of this concern.
A whole body Pet CT Scan can help you detect any other hidden disease of your body apart from cancer. For example, a very silly symptom of any viral disease may turn incurable and move to a level beyond all types of medications if not treated on time in a proper manner. That can be considered as one of the prime reasons why most of the doctors now a day suggest to go for a Pet CT Scan, even if a person is feeling completely well and alright.
Cancer has no cure at the ultimate stage, but it can be completely cured if it becomes possible to detect the disease at the first stage. Consume the best whole body Pet CT Scan services at the most reasonable cost and also grab the latest offers and discounts.
Cardiac CT Scan
Maybe you are having no heart issues currently, but how can you be completely sure that there are no chances of any heart issues in the upcoming days?
Knowingly, heart diseases are one of those physical issues that do not even provide even a moment to any person before killing. It has been seen in one of the most recent researches that heart diseases can not be cured, even through the most advanced medications if it gets detected at the last stage. Just like cancer, heart diseases also have no major symptoms that can knock you to visit any diagnostic centre for Cardiac CT Scan. You will hardly be able to feel a very silly ache in heart, but later it may be the reason of a massive heart-attack at any unexpected time.
The most advanced facilities of Cardiac CT Scan are just a wise step away from you. Both Thyrocare and Nuclear have taken a wise step of making the facilities of Cardiac CT scan available to everyone. Apart from that, they are always keen to provide the best level of service to you. It's never too late to get in touch with them and get a healthy life, they will always remain just a call away from you under every possible circumstances.
Bone PET scan
It is one of the most well-known facts that bone diseases are also harder to detect at the initial stage. Bone diseases mostly do not get deadly at the initial stage. However, it can turn you unable to even move from one place to another, which can also destroy your personal or professional life forever.
Fortunately, the ability to consume the best bone Pet Scan services are not a big deal anymore for anyone as Thyrocare and Nuclear have already made a grand initiative together of turning these facility available for everyone. There was a time when only the sky-touching healthcare companies and hospitals could provide the facility of a bone pet scan only, and it was also highly expensive and that is why hundreds of people faced several bone issues that remained undetected at the initial stage. For example, Bone Tumour is one of those diseases that are hard to detect at the first stage.
Never make a regrettable decision of avoiding a check-up date. The certified doctors will always be there to provide you a perfect solution for each of your bone issues. Now let all your financial worries reach a dead end as the packages regarding bone Pet Scan are available at a very reasonable cost and also some attractive discounts are just a wise step away from you. Call a genuine healthcare like Thyrocare or Nuclear to know more in this regard.
PET-CT scan Instructions for Patients
There are some certain number of do’s and don’ts that each and every patient should follow. The PET-CT scan instructions that are mandatorily essential for each and every one are briefly evaluated below for you:
On the following day of Scanning
1. Every patient should undoubtedly be accompanied by an adult
2. Each and every medical records along with the X-ray, MRI, CT or any other kind of report must be carried
3. The patient must not be accompanied by children or pregnant women
4. The one desires to have a check-up must wear loose and comfortable garments
5. Metallic objects, ornaments or any metallic object,should never be carried inside the premises, carry them inside at your own risk
6. You are required to remain at our centre for at least 4 hours from the scheduled time
There are some specific rules that only should be followed by the female patients. If you are a female patient, you must inform the authority if you are pregnant or about to be pregnant or breastfeeding.
Rules to be followed for diabetic patients
- No anti-diabetic tablets or other medicines should be consumed at the day of check-up
- Consulting a physician can be perfect as it can help a diabetic patient find a safe way to manage the level of bloodsugar at the day of check-up
- If you are a diabetic patient, then your blood sugar level must be below 150 mg / dl at the day of check-up
Apart from all these, a 24 hours notice must be provided to us if you personally desire to cancel your appointment due to any specific reason. Besides, any injection that you will receive from our end is only for one time use.