What you need to know about the types and symptoms of diabetes
Posted By Suborna Fermi
Posted on Sep 25, 2022
What is diabetes disease?
Diabetes mellitus better known as diabetes is a chronic metabolic condition which occurs when your blood glucose or blood sugar level is extremely high. Blood glucose or blood sugar is the the main component from where which derive energies for our daily life workings, and it comes from the food we eat everyday.
Insulin is an essential hormone, produced by the pancreas. This helps to store or to use the blood sugar as energy, it helps in moving blood sugar from the bloodstream to our body’s cells. But, with diabetes, your body will not be able to produce insulin well or will not utilize the insulin as it is supposed to be used.
Untreated diabetes may cause many potential harm to your health, it can damage certain organs including eyes, kidneys, and nerves.
What are the types of diabetes?
Mainly there are 4 types of diabetes, such as:
- Type 1 diabetes: Type 1 diabetes is considered to be an autoimmune disease, in which your body attacks your pancreas, and destroys the cells which make the insulin hormone. This type of diabetes is also recognised as juvenile diabetes, as it mainly affects children and young adults. People with type 1 diabetes will need to have insulin everyday.
- Type 2 diabetes: Type 2 diabetes is the most common type of diabetes, in which your body will not be able to make enough insulin, or the cells of your body cannot properly respond to insulin. For which your blood sugar will increase in your bloodstream. Mostly aged adults are affected with this type of diabetes.
- Prediabetes: Prediabetes is the previous stage of type 2 diabetes, where your blood glucose is higher than usual but it is not as high to be considered that you have type 2 diabetes.
- Gestational diabetes: This is the type of diabetes, which only occurs in some women in their pregnancy. In this time period placenta creates an insulin blocking hormone which is the reason for this gestational diabetes. However, this diabetes will go away after the pregnancy, but there is a chance that you might have type 2 diabetes in the later years.
What are the symptoms of diabetes?
The general symptoms of diabetes are:
- Increased urination
- Increased thirst
- Blurry vision
- Frequent infections
- Dry mouth
- Slow healing cuts or sores
- Unexplained weight loss
- Tingling or numbness in hands or feet
- Reduced sex drive
- Yeast infection
- Erectile dysfunction
If you are experiencing these symptoms then di take a diabetes test or diabetes profile test to test yourself. You should consult with your doctor as soon as possible to avoid the critical consequences of diabetes to your health.