What is the purpose of Liver function tests?
Posted By Suborna Fermi
Posted on May 09, 2020
According to the doctors, liver function test is a must for everyone who is having a past history of any liver diseases or is having a chance to have one. As a matter of fact, liver is one of those organs that are having multiple functions and play the most important role in the excretory and the metabolic process in our body. Some of the most important roles that our liver plays are briefly mentioned below for you.
Major functions of Liver
- Synthesis: Our liver exports and produces so many kinds of proteins in the blood. The decrement of such types of proteins indicates the possibility of a liver disease.
- Excretion: After the death of old red blood cells, the liver plays a role to remove excess nitrogen from the body.
- Detoxification: Liver actively metabolises plant, animal and fungal toxins and any other kind of toxic elements from the body.
- Storages: When the production of glucose increases, it gets converted into fat and it gets deposited into the liver.
Liver performs all these tasks in our body. That is the prime reason why we must take care of our liver and stay up to date about the exact condition of the liver. Liver diseases may sometimes even turn fatal. As a matter of fact, liver diseases may turn serious if not detected or treated on time in a proper manner. In some specific cases, liver diseases are well-known for turning serious. This is one of the most mentionable reasons why a liver function test is mandatory for the people of any age. Some of the diseases that may cause huge damage to liver are briefly mentioned below for you.
Most harmful liver diseases
- Jaundice: When the blood pressure of the bilirubins gets higher than normal level, then it may turn into Jaundice. According to doctors, the presence of jaundice clearly signifies the probabilities of liver diseases.
- Cholestasis: Cholestasis mainly occurs because of inflammation. Liver generates bile that fills the gallbladder once the inflammation of the bile duct prevents bile from entering the duodenum. After the gallbladder gets full, the bile fails to get our of the liver, which also causes jaundice.
- Cirrhosis: The liver can regenerate very quickly after we get affected by any viral infection or or exposure to any type of poison. However, if the damage is prolong or the negative impact too strong, then it may passively cause chronic liver failure and sometimes liver cancer also.
- Ascites: Ascites is known as a certain condition when the accumulation of a plasma-type fluid excessively increases. The causes of it include heart failure and cancer also.
- Cancer: Chronic viral infection and excessive consumption of alcohol are known as two major reasons behind liver cancer. However, the cancer of bile duct is a bit rarer than other kinds of cancers.
- Steatosis: Lipid overloading causes damage to liver and causes Hepatocellular damage, which is the reason behind Steatosis that is also known as Fatty Liver.
Going for a liver function test is the only effective way to stay away from all these diseases. Do not make a regrettable decision of ignoring even your serious liver problem as that can even turn incurable after a certain point of time.
Disclaimer: This article and everything mentioned in it is mainly for general information purposes only and not to be considered as professional medical advise under any circumstances. Always consult a certified doctor before making changes in your diet, lifestyle habit or starting any medication for yourself.