What are the different types of covid antibody tests?
Posted By Suborna Fermi
Posted on Oct 05, 2020
There are still a large number of people who are not aware of the basic difference of the tests of Covid-19. As a matter of fact, there are so many categories of tests that are available for Covid-19 patients and having a sound knowledge about each and every of these tests is mandatory for everyone. In case you are suspecting that you may have the seed of this virus in you, then you certainly go for any of these tests. There are two certain types of antibody test, IgG test and IgG+IgM test. A brief on these tests are mentioned below for you, which will help you understand the difference between these tests.
Book Covid Test
Covid-19 IgG test
- This test helps to determine the presence of IgG antibodies that generally takes 1-3 weeks to develop after getting infected.
- The presence of this virus means your immune system has defeated the virus at any point of time in the past.
- Positive IgG result means you had the disease in you but not having it anymore.
- Negative IgG result determines the absence of IgG antibodies, which means you have never been infected before.
Covid-19 IgG+IgM test
- This test is to check the presence of IgG and IgM antibodies.
- A positive result of IgG+IgM test means that the antibodies are present in the blood and you were having an exposure to Covid-19 at any point of time in the past.
- In case you are symptomatic, you will be suggested to go for RT-PCR test.
- In case you are asymptomatic, you will be asked to self-quarantine yourself and go for an IgG blood test after 7-10 days.
- Negative result of IgG+IgM test means the antibodies are not present in you because you have never been infected at any point of time in the past.
As a matter of fact, there are certain limitations of these tests. Antibody tests can never be considered as a substitute for Covid-19 diagnostic tests. Besides, it is impossible to know that you will have the immunity power to beat the virus through these tests. You may get in touch with a genuine pathologist to fetch more necessary information in this regard.
Book Covid Test