Value of insulin in health and disease
Posted By Suborna Fermi
Posted on Jun 03, 2022
What is Insulin?
Our pancreas produces critical hormones including glucagon and insulin. This insulin hormone has numerous essential functions in the human body. Especially, it helps in managing how your body uses and stores blood sugar or glucose.
As this peptide hormone plays an extremely important part in our human body, naturally our body stops working without this hormone. Lack of productiveness of insulin may contribute to developing diabetes issues.
When we eat, insulin breaks the fats and protein into glucose and generates energy out of them. Excessive low or extreme low blood glucose level may cause serious health concerns.
What are the types of Insulin?
There is chiefly four types of insulin:
- Rapid-acting Insulin: Rapid-acting insulin is extremely easy to absorb by the body. These are extraordinarily helpful for hyperglycemia and high blood sugar patients. Also, they manage blood sugar spikes after eating. They reach the blood vein in less than 15 minutes and the action lasts for around 4 hours.
- Short-acting Insulin: These types of insulin are also very useful to manage hyperglycemia, high blood sugar and blood sugar spike. This regular insulin reaches the blood vein within 30 minutes, and the action stays upto 6 hours.
- Intermediate-acting Insulin: Intermediate-acting insulin is the utmost potent insulin for managing the blood glucose level at night along with in between meals. Because they might reach the bloodstream lazier rate but the lasting power is extremely high. They take 2 to 4 hours to enter the blood vein but the effectiveness lasts for about 18 hours.
- Long-acting Insulin: These types of insulin may take some hours to work but they can manage glucose level for the whole 24 hours.
Additional responsibilities of Insulin
As you know insulin is the best buddy to manage the glucose level, but there are also some other functions of them.
- They help in regulating the synthesis of lipids.
- They help in boosting the memory and kerning power of our brain.
- They help in breaking down the protein and lipids.
- They help in managing the void of sodium in the urine.
- They help in adjusting the activities and reactions of enzymes.
So, all the types, importance and functions of insulin are discussed above. All the functions are evidence that insulin is an essential part of our daily bodily functions.