How would you know if you have PCOS or not?
Posted By Suborna Fermi
Posted on Dec 19, 2022
These days, PCOS is a very common disorder in women. Nearly 70% of the world's female population are affected by this particular disorder. This disorder mainly impacts your menstrual cycle, fertility, skin and weight.
So how do you know if you have PCOS or not? There are a lot of signs and symptoms of PCOS which can tell you if you have this disease or not. The symptoms are:
- Irregular menstrual cycle
- Heavy period flow
- Weight gain
- Darkening of skin
- Male pattern baldness
- Extreme hair growth on face, chest, belly and back
Do not ignore these symptoms, if you are having these symptoms then go for the pcod profile test immediately.
To diagnose whether you have polycystic ovary syndrome, your doctor would ask you about the symptoms you are having. Then will conduct a physical examination and would suggest you a pcod blood test. This test will measure different hormone levels in your body. The hormones are:
- Follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH): This hormone usually affects your potentiality to get pregnant. Low levels of this hormone are seen in PCOS affected females.
- Luteinizing hormone (LH): This hormone controls the menstrual cycle and is responsible for ovulation. High levels of this hormone are seen in PCOS affecting women.
- Testosterone: Testosterone is sex hormone primarily produced in the testicles. Higher than normal level indicates PCOS.
- Estrogen: This hormone helps in controlling the menstrual cycle in women.
- Sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG): Sex hormone binding globulin hormone helps in binding androgen and estregen. Normal to high levels of this hormone indicates PCOS.
- Androstenedione: Androstenedione is a steroidal hormone, important for the production of estrogen and testosterone. Higher than normal levels may indicate PCOS.
- Human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG): Human chorionic gonadotropin hormone produced by placenta during pregnancy time.
- Anti mullerian hormone (AMH): Anti mullerian hormone helps in the development of follicles. The levels would be higher if you have PCOS.
Your doctors might also ask you to go for thyroid, tumor, and hyperplasia tests. Don’t worry, a pcod profile test would include all these necessary tests. To know the pcod test price, go to your nearest reliable diagnostic center.