How to stay fit and healthy in the winter?
Posted By Suborna Fermi
Posted on Jan 03, 2024
The cozy winter season often makes us lazy, and we tend to neglect our health. Undoubtedly, it feels delightful to stay comfy in your most-liked blanket, but it is not good for your health. The gloomy and chill weather does not encourage us to go out of the blanket in the morning to do exercise. And this can make you susceptible to getting winter illnesses. In this blog, we look onto a few winter illnesses, and how to prevent yourself from getting them.
What are the health complications that can arise in winter?
Before we move onto how to stay healthy in this cold season, it is essential to know about the health complications that arise especially in this season. The common winter diseases include:
- Common flu and viral infections: Winter is the prime season when the flu and viruses are more likely to spread. Colder months tend to weaken your immune system, and make you vulnerable to catching a cold. Common cold usually causes symptoms like low-grade fever, sore throat, runny nose, sneezing, and coughing.
- Respiratory issues: Similar to the viral infections, winter also increases the risk of respiratory complications, such as asthma and sinusitis. People with these complications may find it difficult to breathe.
- Vitamin D deficiency: Apart from the dietary products, sunlight is the major source of vitamin D. Due to lack of sunlight in colder months, you might experience vitamin D deficiency. However, having a diet rich in vitamin D, and supplements can help you in these months.
- Dry skin: Rough and dry skin is one of the early effects of the winter. Due to the lack of moisture in the weather environment, you may also experience chapped lips, flaky skin, and cracked heels.
Effective ways to stay healthy and fit in the colder months:
So now that you are well aware of the winter complications, here are a few ways to stay healthy during the season:
- Skin and body care: Although skin and body care is important all year around, it is essential during the winter. As the weather gets very dry in the winter, it must moisturize your skin. Consider using lightweight creams, thick body lotion, body yogurt, lip balms or lip oil. Also, do not forget to moisturize your heels.
- Health care: As physical activities get limited during this season, which contributes to several health issues. That is why make sure to have physical exercises at least 25 to 30 minutes of moderate intensity exercise daily. Also, as winter comes with various illnesses, make sure to go for regular health checkups to prevent serious health issues.
- Diet: Following a healthy diet is probably the best way to prevent any health issues. As winter is the main season for various vegetables and fruits, therefore, have a good quantity of fruits or vegetables in your daily diet.
- Hygiene: Maintaining good hygiene is extremely essential to prevent yourself from getting viral infections. Frequently clean your hands with soap and water or you can also use a hand sanitizer.
The winter is undoubtedly a wonderful season with lots of holidays; however, it also increases the risk of getting many viral infections. Therefore, consider having a good diet and lifestyle to increase your immunity power and to enjoy this season at its best.