How to increase your hemoglobin level in natural ways?
Posted By Suborna Fermi
Posted on Jul 08, 2023
Hemoglobin is an essential component in the red blood cells that helps to deliver oxygen throughout our body. Many health conditions may cause you low hemoglobin level, but there are several natural ways you can raise the count.
What is hemoglobin?
An iron-rich protein in red blood cells is called hemoglobin. Although hemoglobin has many functions, the main function is it helps to transport oxygen from lungs to the other organs of the body. Because of its functions, hemoglobin has an extreme importance for healthy living. Check your hemoglobin level with a hemoglobin test.
What causes a low hemoglobin level?
There can be multiple reasons for the low count of hemoglobin, which include:
- Sickle cell anemia
- Iron deficiency anemia
- Folate deficiency anemia
- Liver disease
- Kidney disease
- Lungs disease
- Bone marrow disease
- Substantial blood loss
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Excessive physical exercise
- Excessive smoking
What are the symptoms of low hemoglobin levels?
The common symptoms of low hemoglobin level may include:
- Shortness of breath
- Irregular heart beat
- Pale skin
- Frequent bruising
How to increase your hemoglobin levels?
If you do not have any medical conditions, then you might incorporate the following ways to increase your hemoglobin level.
- Eat more iron rich foods: Iron is an extremely important nutrient for the production of hemoglobin. Transferrin is a protein that binds to iron and transports to the entire body. Some iron rich foods include shellfish, spinach, tofu, beef, green beans, lentils, kale, broccoli, baked potatoes, and fortified cereals.
- Eat a lot of folate rich foods: Folate is mainly a B Vitamin, which is very important for the formation of heme (a part of red blood cells). If you have very low folate in your body then it may lead to folate deficiency anemia. This is why you should eat folate rich foods, such as beef, rice, avocado, lettuce, black-eyed peas, kidney beans and peanuts.
- Take steps to increase iron absorption: If you are eating iron rich foods or taking iron supplements to increase hemoglobin count, you also need to consume vitamin C to maximize the absorption of iron. So make sure to increase your iron absorption through eating vitamin C rich foods.
- Avoid foods that decrease iron absorption: Too much calcium can make it harder for the body to absorb iron. Try to avoid eating too much soybeans, figs, seeds, and dairy products. Phytic acid can also decrease your body's absorption of iron. Sesame seeds, walnuts, and Brazil nuts are high in phytic acid.
What foods can increase your hemoglobin level?
There are several foods that are very helpful to increase the hemoglobin level. Some common foods are:
- Red meat
- Egg yolk
- Sweet potatoes
- Dairy products
Apart from all these foods, you can still increase your hemoglobin level through different supplements. Check your hemoglobin level with a complete blood count. You can now book a blood test at home.