Hormonal imbalance: symptoms, causes and treatment
Posted By Suborna Fermi
Posted on Dec 12, 2021
Hormones are usually called the chemical messenger, which is very important for your healthy bodily functions. Endocrine system produces hormones, which move through your bloodstream ordering your organs and their work. These also take a huge place in the metabolism and reproduction process.
Hormonal imbalance is a state, when there is too much or too little of these hormones present in your body. Well, hormonal imbalance is very natural but as hormones play a huge role in every major body function, long term hormonal imbalance can have serious effects on your body.
Hormonal disbalance symptoms
You may experience various symptoms, because signs and symptoms can vary person to person. Also you may have symptoms based on which hormones are not working. Some common symptoms are given below.
- Unintentional weight gain and weight loss
- Muscle weakness and pain
- Pain in joints
- Increased appetite and thirst
- Blurry vision
- Thinning of hair
- Dry and puffy face
- Low sexual desire
Signs and symptoms for women:
- Irregular period and heavy flow
- Excessive growth of facial hair
- Mood swings
- Dryness in the vagina
- Pain during sex
Signs and symptoms for men:
- Growth of breast tissues
- Erectile dysfunction
- Reduced body and beard hair growth
- Loss of muscle and bone mass
Causes of hormonal imbalance:
There are several factors for which hormonal disbalance may happen. Usually causes depend on the hormones or gland that is affected. Some general causes of hormonal disbalance are mentioned below.
- Some medication
- Eating disorders
Causes that especially in women:
- Ovarian cancer
- Birth Control pills
- Premature menopause
- Post menopause
Diseases that may cause hormonal imbalance:
- Endocrine gland cancer
- Tumours and cysts
- Hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism
- Addison disease
- Cushing syndrome
- Turner syndrome
- Congenital adrenal disorder
- Hyperglycemia and hypoglycemia
- Radiation therapy
Treatments of hormonal imbalance for women
- Vaginal estrogen: The use of estrogen cream, or tablet is for vaginal dryness or if you experience pain during sex.
- Estrogen therapy: estrogen therapy may help, if you are getting symptoms of menopause.
- Eflornithine: Doctors do prescribe eflornithine for reducing the growth of facial hair.
- Birth-control pills: Birth control pills, patches or shots can be used for improving menstrual cycle. This also helps to reduce acne and facial hair growth.
- Metformin: This type 2 medication helps in lowering androgen levels.
- Levothyroxine: It is a synthetic thyroid hormone which is used to balance thyroid hormones.
Treatment of hormonal imbalance for men
- Testosterone therapy: testosterone therapy usually used to improve low testosterone issues in men.
- Flibanserin and bremelanotide: They are used to boost low sexual desire. However, these can cause side effects, consult with a doctor.
Those are all the details that you should know about hormonal imbalance. Hormonal disbalance can happen at many points of your life such as pregnancy, puberty, menstruation, menopause. However, some may face hormonal imbalance often, which can be very critical. If you experience any signs or symptoms of hormonal imbalance, do consult with a doctor as soon as possible.