Foods to improve thyroid functionally
Posted By Suborna Fermi
Posted on Dec 31, 2021
Do you ever think of whether your thyroid gland is working properly or not? Well, the proper function of your thyroid is really important for your body. Thyroid hormones help in generating the energy levels and metabolism rate, keep your body temperature, heart rate and blood pressure at normal state.
Abnormal thyroid functions can develop certain thyroid diseases. If your thyroid produces too much of thyroid hormones it can cause hyperthyroidism and on other hand, if your thyroid gland fails to produce enough hormones, that situation is called hypothyroidism. Apart from medications, you can maintain your thyroid functions naturally through consuming certain foods.
Foods that can boost your thyroid functions
- Iodine: Iodine is a mineral, highly needed to produce thyroid hormones. Iodine deficiency can cause hypothyroidism as well. Although iodine deficiency is very common, if you have Iodine deficiency try to eat food rich in iodine such as eggs, fish, dairy products, seaweeds and others.
- Selenium: Selenium helps to induce thyroid hormones, so that they can be used by the body, and it is also essential to maintain your thyroid function normally. Eat foods that are nourished with selenium like eggs, tuna, sardines, brazil nuts, hazelnuts. Macadamia nuts etc.
- Zink: Likewise selenium, zinks also help to activate your body to use thyroid hormones. However, zinc deficiency is very rare, so it is better to eat zinc-induced foods such as meats, oyster, shellfish etc, to keep off the risk of having hypothyroidism.
Foods that can affect your thyroid functions:
Just as certain foods help in the thyroid functions, also some foods and nutrients can be harmful to those who have thyroid diseases.
- Certain fruits and vegetables: Sweet potatoes, cabbages, cauliflowers, spinach, broccolis, strawberries, peaches etc.
- Processed foods: Processed meats, bakery products, sugary drinks, candies, fast foods, etc.
- Soy foods: Soy milk, soy cheese, soy sauce, tofu, natto, tempeh etc.
- Certain nuts and seeds: peanuts, milety, pine nuts etc.
Those are all the foods you should and shouldn’t eat to maintain your usual thyroid functioning. Remember to add an appropriate amount of iodine, zinc and selenium in your regular diet. Thankfully, there are plenty of foods that contain all these minerals to keep balance of your thyroid functions.