Fatigue: causes, diagnosis and treatment
Posted By Suborna Fermi
Posted on Jan 08, 2022
The medical term fatigue is the description of tiredness and lack of energy. Demotivation is the result of fatigue. Fatigue is one of the main common symptoms of many severe health diseases. You may experience fatigue because of many reasons such as unhealthy lifestyle and poor diet. If your tiredness cannot improvise after changing your lifestyle, then it may also indicate that you have some underlying health condition. Here are all the causes, diagnosis and how to treat fatigue is discussed below for you.
6 Causes of fatigue
- Certain medical conditions: Various medical conditions can cause fatigue including chronic fatigue syndrome, anemia, high blood pressure, obesity, inflammatory bowel disease, rheumatoid arthritis, cancer and others.
- Metabolic and endocrine reasons: Certain metabolic and endocrine conditions can cause fatigue such as thyroid diseases, kidney diseases, diabetes, Cushing syndrome, electrolyte problem, and pregnancy.
- Lungs and heart diseases: Some heart or lung diseases may cause inflammation in the body which can lead to fatigue. Diseases including pneumonia, asthma, congestive heart failure, coronary heart disease, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
- Nutrients deficiency: Vitamins, minerals deficiency affects your sleep which can cause fatigue.
- Weight issues: Being overweight or underweight both situations can cause fatigue.
- Mental concerns: Fatigue is the most common symptom of some mental issues including anxiety disorder, depression, eating disorder, drug or alcohol abuse etc.
Diagnosis of fatigue
You should visit your doctor if you are experiencing fatigue and depression without any proper reason, having unintentional weight loss, feeling sensitivity to cold, and having a higher temperature than usual. Your medical expert may want to know some details about you. They might ask you things such as the quality and pattern of your fatigue, lifestyle, eating habits, sleep pattern, medications usages, alcohol and caffeine consumption. After knowing all these things they can give some blood or urine tests, or even some cases can also recommend imaging tests to identify the underlying disease.
Treatment of fatigue
Fatigue is the most common symptom of any underlying diseases. After diagnosing the main reason for this unexplainable fatigue your doctor may guide you by prescribing certain medications to treat that particular disease on time. However, you can still prevent fatigue by changing your food habits, sleeping patterns, and also by doing exercises.