Diseases and conditions that may be the reason of your weight gain
Posted By Suborna Fermi
Posted on Nov 27, 2021
Weight gaining is one of the large obstacles worldwide. We all know, consuming too many calories and don't burning them properly contributes to excess weight gain. After having a proper diet and doing regular physical activity, if you are still gaining weight, then it indicates that you may have some underlying diseases. Some diseases may contribute to gaining unintentional weight.
7 diseases that may cause you unintentional weight gain
- Hypothyroidism: Our thyroid gland produces T3 and T4 hormones which helps in our metabolism process. Hypothyroidism or underactive thyroid is a disorder that occurs when your thyroid gland fails to produce these two hormones, then apparently your metabolism rate starts to drop. Slow metabolism rate can lead you to gain weight.
- Type 2 diabetes: There are two types of diabetes such as type 1 diabetes and type 2. Type 2 diabetes causes patients to gain weight.
- Cushing syndrome: This occasional disorder occurs as a side effect of long-term steroid use, which causes a high level of cortisol hormone level. High cortisol levels badly affect the metabolism process and this contributes to weight gain.
- Polycystic ovary syndrome: This disorder is so common these days that almost most of the women have polycystic syndrome. This disorder in women causes irregular menstrual cycle, acne, excessive facial hair, infertility. Also, Pcos affects the body’s insulin process, which leads patients to gain weight.
- Menopause or perimenopause: In the state of perimenopause in women, the ovaries do not produce enough estrogen and in the menopause state ovaries do not succeed in producing estrogen at all. Reduced estrogen levels lead women to gain more weight.
- Dysthymia: Some researches have shown that dysthymia or persistent depressive disorder has a direct link with obesity. People who have depression may have obesity.
- Insomnia: people who have insomnia tend to put on more weight than usual. Insufficient sleep stimulates hormones which can increase hunger.
These are all the possible conditions that may be the reason for your unintentional weight gain. However, gaining weight and losing weight is very common. Above reasons may not happen in everyone’s case, poor lifestyle can also be a cause for weight gain. If you are gaining weight in a very short span of time and without any appropriate reason, it is better to consult with a doctor.