Difference between Covid-19 antibody test, RT-PCR and antigen test
Posted By Suborna Fermi
Posted on Jul 16, 2021
Although it’s been too long, the fear of the deadly respiratory disease named Covid-19 is still the same. As a matter of fact, the number of infected people are reportedly increasing in several corners of the planet, which has passively increased the concerns of common people. The most dangerous fact about the coronavirus, which can be claimed for all these is, is the constant mutation of this virus and this is the major reason why it has currently transformed in it’s delta strain. At this very moment, this is one of the most mentionable reasons to worry for each and every of us.
The major problem is, there are still a massive number of people who actually have no idea that they are infected or not. As a matter of fact, there are certain signs and symptoms of this deadly disease through which we can determine the presence of it. However, there are still a huge number of people who are still not aware of these signs and symptoms, there are people who fail to notice some of such mild symptoms in the busy life schedule and there are a number of people who are asymptomatic. Undoubtedly, this can easily be considered as the key reason why the necessity of a test is never over.
However, not all the covid tests are the same, every specific test has its own unique functionality. In other words, all of these tests are different from each other. This is the prime reason why it is necessary to have sound knowledge about all these tests. A brief on Covid antibody test, antigen test and RT-PCR test is given below for you.
A brief difference between different Covid tests
- RT PCR tests: These tests are generally performed to determine the presence of the deadly respiratory disease named COvid-19 in a person’s body.This test is also known as Real Time Polymer Chain Reaction test. In this test, the swab samples of the patient are analyzed to detect the presence of active covid infection.
- Antigen screening: Through this test, the proteins that are considered as part of the coronavirus are detected. As a matter of fact, the test procedure is almost same as RT-PCR, but the test result can be generated within a shorter span of time. In some cases when the antigen test report comes negative, the medical experts may suggest you to go for a Covid RT-PCR test.
- Antibody test: This test is performed to detect the presence of Covid antibodies in your blood. In other words, this test can help you and the medical experts understand whether you have been infected at any point of time in the past or not. This is the major reason why a huge number of certified doctors and medical experts are suggesting to go for an antibody test.
Difference between these tests
- RT PCR test detects the SARS COV genetic material, Covid Antigen test detects the proteins and antigens in the virus, and the antibody test detects the presence of the Covid antibodies in the blood.
- RT PCR test takes 1-2 days to get the test result generated, on the other hand, the antigen test results can be generated immediately and the antibody test result may take one day to be generated.
- Both RT PCR test and antigen tests are run to determine the presence of active and current infection, but the antibody test is performed to know whether the person had ever been infected at any point of time in the past or not.
- RT PCR test accuracy is higher than antibody test and antigen tests.
- RT PCR tests are expensive, on the other hand, the antibody and antigen test are not really too expensive to go for.
- RT PCR tests are highly sensitive and antigen tests are known for having moderate sensitivity. However, the antibody test is good for surveillance.
However, each of these tests are similarly useful when the matter comes about safety. To be mentioned once again, the Covid antibody test does not help to get the presence of any current infection detected in a person’s body. It can only help to know whether the person has ever been infected at any point of time in the past or not. This can be considered as one of the most mentonable reasons why the greater percentage of certified doctors and medical experts are suggesting everyone to go for a corona antibody test who are still not having any symptoms of the deadly respiratory infection named Covid-19. However the RT-PCR test is also as important as this test because this can help to get the current presence of the infection detected in a person’s body. You may get in touch with a certified pathologist today to book a suitable test package for you and your family members or to fetch more necessary information in this regard.