Are you getting married? Here are 5 important tests you should take before marriage
Posted By Suborna Fermi
Posted on Feb 12, 2023
Are you gearing up for your “the day”? There are quite a number of tasks to accomplish prior to tying the knots. In this hurry, most of us forget many things, and one of them is the pre marriage medical test. A healthy marriage depends on many aspects, and health is one of the most crucial aspects.
Marriage promises to be healthy and keep your family healthy, right? But do you know that there are several diseases that pass through families? Not only STIs, HIV and AIDS, there are other genetic disorders that you can pass to your future generations. This is why it is important to have a premarital blood test before marriage. So what tests should you take?
- Compatibility test: We all know that there are multiple types of blood groups, and the primary groups are A, B, AB and O. In addition to that, the presence and absence of RH factor, which is a type of protein that divides the blood groups into eight forms, such as A+, A-, B+, B-, AB+, AB-, O+, and O-. As these RH factors have an effect on pregnancy, it is essential to know each other's blood groups before marriage.
- Thalassemia: Thalassemia is a severe hereditary blood disorder that passes through parents to children via genes. This disorder arises when there is a mutation in the genes that produces hemoglobin. When your body cannot generate an adequate amount of hemoglobin (A protein of red blood cells in blood), this state is called thalassemia. Minor thalassemia arises when you have received mutated genes from one of your parents, and major thalassemia develops when you have received mutated genes from both of your parents. Major thalassemia can be deadly if not not treated properly.
- Infertility test: Infertility is a very serious matter nowadays that impacts a person’s physical and mental health. As this disease can occur in both male and females, a huge number of people are facing complications regarding pregnancy. Going for the infertility test can detect the possibilities of infertility issues beforehand. There are many treatments available for infertility issues.
- STD test: Sexually transmitted disease or sexually transmitted infection, take place because of sexual activities. Without proper treatment, STIs can lead to infertility, cancer, brain damage, and birth defects. This is why taking a STD test can prevent you from HIV, AIDS, syphilis, chlamydia, and gonorrhea. Also, this test is a must if you are planning to marry, or planning to conceive. As this condition does not cause any significant symptoms, it will be hard to detect without a test.
- Genetic testing: Genetic testing is another crucial test before marriage, because you or your partner could be a carrier of a certain disease. Down syndrome, Huntington’s disease, hemophilia, sickle cell disease, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and heart disease pass down through genes. Genetic testing can help to detect any likelihood of getting inherited disease.
Remember, genetic testing, HIV tests, and thalassemia tests are not only important for your health, it is also important for your baby. This is why it is critical that both of you have a medical test before marriage.