A Brief Overview about Obesity, Its Causes, Symptoms, and Available Treatment
Posted By Suborna Fermi
Posted on Sep 14, 2017
Obesity refers to a condition, where a person has excessive body fat. To be more specific, when the body fails to shed the excess amount of calories while increasing the intake of it, the body tends to become obese.
People who are obese not only suffer from various health issues but also become prone to develop life-threatening medical conditions as well. Let's have a closer look at some its causes, symptoms and treatment options here.
Obesity can happen due to a number of reasons. Inactivity and poor diet are generally the major causes of obesity; however, there can be other causes like genetics, intake of certain medications and illness can also be responsible for it. Let's take a closer look at some of the major causes:
- Inactive lifestyle – enjoying a sedentary lifestyle, with less or no activities to burn the calories.
- Poor Diet – Following a diet that is high in fat, sugar and calories and low in other healthy nutrients, such as fruits, vegetables etc.
- Hereditary – Bearing the genes of predecessors if excessive fat storage, high appetite, and low-calorie expenditure etc.
- Health condition – During pregnancy and other health conditions such as Cushing's syndrome or Prader-Willi syndrome etc.
- Medication – Intake of certain medications.
- Age – As the age grows so does the decrease of the muscle mass and inactivity, leading to weight gain.
Apart from these, various economic and social issues can also be responsible for obesity. After all, if you don't have the right place to exercise or if you're not aware of healthy eating practices, then this may also lead to obesity. Even not having proper sleep during the nights often cause changes in the hormone productions which lead to the increase of appetite, and eventually obesity.
When a person becomes obese, he or she experiences a lot of changes in their bodies. Some of the most common symptoms of obesity is –
- High blood pressure
- Pain in the lower back and the knees
- Difficulty in breathing
- High levels of cholesterol
- High BMI or body mass index
- Rapid weight gaining
- Expanding waistline
Apart from these common symptoms of obesity, people who are obese may have symptoms of certain medical conditions, such as:
- Liver or gallbladder disease
- Joint diseases like osteoarthritis
- Stroke and heart disease
- GERD or gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Certain types of cancer, such as bowel cancer
Apart from the medical and general obesity symptoms, obesity can also lead to causing various psychological symptoms as well, such as low self-esteem, a decrease in the confidence level, developing feelings of hopelessness etc.
Depending on the condition of one, the treatment for obesity may vary from one to another. One of the most effective and easiest ways of dealing with obesity is by doing regular exercise and following a healthy low-fat and low-sugar diet. However, if the obesity is caused by certain physical conditions, then taking care of that particular condition by consulting a medical professional is the best way, along with staying active and eating healthy. Even there are plenty of medications and surgical options available too that can help to say good bye to their obese physique.
Remember, obesity will not disappear overnight. To deal with obesity, you must be ready to follow a disciplined lifestyle with plenty of activities to take part in, along with abiding by the restrictions and medications provided by your doctor.
You need to keep in mind that a healthy lifestyle depends upon your choice of living. Thyrocare Bangalore or Thyrocare Hyderabad offers Obesity Checkup Packages. Make wise decision and book your package today.