A brief on the importance of the vitamin d in our body
Posted By Suborna Fermi
Posted on Jul 31, 2022
Vitamin D is one of the most essential fat-soluble vitamins. Generally, vitamins are a form of nutrition which a human body is incapable of making. But, our body naturally generates this sunshine vitamin as a reaction to exposure to the ultraviolet rays of the sun.
Being a fat-soluble vitamin, vitamin D can be stored in the body for days and even for months. This vitamin has quite a lot of duties in our body, and it’s main function is to keep our muscles and bones healthy. Monitor your vitamin D level with a vitamin d blood test. Let‘s find out what are the other functions of this particular vitamin.
12 principal functions of vitamin d in our body:
- Aids in strengthening our bones and muscle healthy
- Keeps our teeths strong
- Helps in preventing bone fractures
- Reduces your chances of developing osteoporosis
- Helps in regulating insulin level in the body
- Decreases high blood pressure
- Reduces your risk of getting heart disease and heart attack
- Promotes healthy lung and cardiovascular function
- Improves your immune, brain and nervous system
- Minimizes the chance of getting breast cancer, colon cancer, and prostate cancer
- Helps in losing weight
- Improves our moods
What are the foods that contain vitamin D?
Might be wondering what are the other vitamin D sources except sunlight? Here are certain foods which highly contain vitamin D. The foods are:
- Egg yolk
- Fortified milk
- Cod liver oil
- Beef liver
- Fortified yogurt
- Fortified orange juice
- Fortified cereal
How much vitamin D do you require?
- Infants (0-12 months): 400 IU
- Children (1-14 years): 600 IU
- Teenagers (15-18 years): 600 IU
- Adults (19-70 years): 600 IU
- People over age 71 years: 800 IU
- Women who are pregnant and breastfeeding: 800 IU
So, those are the general vitamin D levels for different age group people, you might need more vitamin D as it depends on your blood serum level. Having inadequate levels of this vitamin may lead you to deficiency which can cause serious damages to your health. The vitamin d test cost is very affordable, book one for yourself now to check the vitamin D level in your body.