5 essential tests you need this winter season
Posted By Suborna Fermi
Posted on Dec 27, 2023
Winter might be a very pleasant season for some people. This season not only brings a cool breeze, but it also comes with several maladies. A study has stated that our immune system is at higher risk of getting infected during the winter season.
That is why it is important that you take extra care of your health, especially throughout this season. In this blog, we discuss certain tests that will give you complete knowledge about your health.
Essential tests you should get this season:
- Flu check-up: Bacterial growth increases, especially during the chilly season; that is why flu or influenza is very common in the winter. This is a respiratory illness that causes symptoms like a high fever, runny nose, coughing, headache, and muscle pain. If you experience these types of symptoms, then make sure to get an influenza test, which will help detect the presence of the flu virus.
- Lungs check-up: The cold weather narrows down the upper airways because dry air typically hampers the moisture layer of the airways in the lungs. As a consequence of this, you might find it difficult to breathe. It might also get worse if you already have a respiratory illness like asthma. Hence, make sure to get a lung checkup during the winter season.
- Heart check-up: The risk of having heart complications is higher in the winter. That is why you should make sure to get a heart checkup if you are experiencing issues like chest pain, dizziness, an irregular heartbeat, or shortness of breath. A heart check-up will help you understand your cardiovascular health and the risk of developing heart complications in the future. Obesity, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, high blood sugar, smoking, and alcohol abuse are considered risk factors for heart disease.
- Blood pressure checkup: People over the age of 50 experience exhaustion even in small activities, especially during the winter. Blood pressure generally tends to get higher in the winter. This is because low temperatures narrow the blood vessels, and as a result, more pressure is required to pump out blood through the narrowed veins or arteries. Therefore, by getting a blood pressure checkup, you will be able to know your health status and determine whether you need further treatment.
- Blood sugar test: We tend to eat more foods that are high in carbs and fat, especially during the winter season. These comfort foods might please the taste buds, but they can increase your blood sugar levels. Therefore, make sure to check your blood sugar level with a fasting blood sugar test, and also try to do some physical activities as well.
There are a number of viral infections that can occur during the cold season; therefore, make sure that you take your utmost care to prevent serious health issues. Apart from these medical tests, make sure to have good hygiene habits, follow a healthy diet plan, and get at least 7 hours of good-quality sleep.