Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
What is a gastroenteritis test?
Gastroenteritis is a specific health condition that is also known as stomach flu. Norovirus is the prime reason behind this disease, which is also considered as one of the leading causes of foodborne sickness. Usually, consumption of contaminated food and water can be the reason for this particular health condition. People may usually experience diarrhea and vomiting when they have the seed of this disease in their bodies. Gastroenteritis is a serious disease and it is necessary to detect it at the primary stage and get necessary medical treatments before it turns severe. If you are already suffering from this disease, you may experience inflammation and irritations in your stomach and intestines.
You may get this disease in your body if,
- You have consumed contaminated food and water.
- You got in contact with somebody who is carrying the disease in the body.
- You have the habit of leaving your hands unwashed after visiting the washroom or after changing the diaper of your child.
This disease is very common during the monsoon. This is the reason why it is necessary to go for a gastro infection panel test as this test can help you get the presence of this disease detected in the body, so that you can seek medical attention at the right time.
When to go for this test?
It is necessary to go for a test when the primary signs and symptoms of gastroenteritis start to get visible in your body. Although, there are so many people who do not know about these major signs and symptoms of this disease, which is the reason why these symptoms often get overlooked. Some of the most mentionable signs and symptoms of this disease may include,
- Stomach pain
- Lack of tears
- Dry tongue and lips
It is necessary to get in touch with a genuine and reliable doctor immediately if the vomiting lasts more than one day or serious fever or diarrhea lasting longer than 2 days in any adult or a child 2 years old or more. However, children that are less than 2 years old who are experiencing severe diarrhea and vomiting for more than 12 hours must be brought for this test. Everyone must keep noticing carefully that the vomiting or diarrhea is turning bloody or not because if so, the wisest step to be taken is to appear for a gastro infection panel. Apart from that, if you are facing severe dehydration or a fever that is 101 degree Fahrenheit lasting more than two days then you should consider going for this test.
What is the test procedure?
Blood sample is required for this test process. Besides, at least 10-12 hours of fasting is mandatory before you appear for this test. Once the samples are collected, the samples will be sent to the laboratory and necessary tests will be performed on that collected sample. Once the testing is completed, it does not really take much time to generate an error-free test result. During the test, the doctors may ask about your health history including your food habits including the foods you have recently eaten and the places you have recently visited. This is a simple test process and there are no risks associated with this test. However, it is natural to feel a bit of discomfort or pain at that particular area from which the blood has been collected. It is necessary to get in touch with a genuine and reliable doctor immediately if you face any severe health complication during or after the blood collection process. Also, get necessary treatments as quickly as possible soon after the presence of this disease has been detected in your body.
What is the cause of gastroenteritis?
As mentioned before, the Norovirus is the major cause of this disease. If the natural immune system of your body is not strong enough, then you can easily get the disease in your body. Apart from the virus, some other causes of gastroenteritis are mentioned below.
- Bacterias: Bacterias are considered as a less common cause of this disease. Bacterias like E.Coli, campylobacter, salmonella and clostridium difficile can be the reason for stomach flu.
- Parasites: parasites are the rarest cause of stomach flu. Parasites like cryptosporidium or Giardia can be the reason for gastroenteritis.
How can you prevent gastroenteritis?
- Wash your hands properly after you return from the washroom, change your child’s diaper or after you touch any animal.
- Don’t forget to cook each and every of those foods you eat at a proper temperature.
- Always drink fresh water and avoid the consumption of untreated water.
- Maintain safe distance with every person who is having symptoms like severe vomiting or diarrhea.
- Perishable food that has been kept out longer than two hours should not be consumed.
This is also extremely necessary to disinfect the surfaces to stay away from this disease. You can consider using bleach and water to disinfect every possible surface and mostly the surfaces of the washroom. Apart from that, just because parasites can be the reason for this disease, you should think twice before stepping into any contaminated swimming pool. As a matter of fact, you can also get this disease in your body if
- You have the habit of eating plenty of acidic foods
- You have consumed heavy metals like cadmium, lead or arsenic with drinking water.
- You have consumed a certain type of toxin that is generally found in specific kinds of seafood.
In so many cases, the symptoms go away automatically and the disease comes to an end. However, people with a weaker immune system must get necessary medical treatments before the disease takes a bigger shape. Soon after the disease has been detected in your body, you can consult a doctor to know about the medications you should take or the treatment facilities that you should avail. Fortunately, the gastroenteritis test price has become very much reasonable these days and you can easily book a test for yourself online