Luteinising hormone plays a role to maintain the reproductive system of both men and women.This test is mainly performed to measure the exact amount of luteinising hormone in the blood. This test is also performed to check the functionalities of reproductive organs of an individual. This test is generally recommended in case of fertility issues, low sperm count or low testosterone levels. You must stop taking birth control pills or any other similar kinds of pills 4 weeks before appearing for the test. In some specific cases, you may need to fast for a long span of time before appearing for the test. The test results may vary depending upon age, gender and health conditions.
What is the luteinizing hormone test?
The Purpose of the luteinising hormones test is to measure the LH in your blood. This test will help to find the cause of infertility, irregular menstrual period, low sex drive in men, and also the reason of early or delayed puberty.
When to get tested?
Your doctor may recommend this test, if you are not experiencing irregular periods, unable to get pregnant after many tryings, if you are a man and having low sex drive issues. This test might help your doctor to find the cause of these issues. A luteinizing hormone test price is not very high.
A medical expert will take a small amount of blood from your arm.
No test preparation is needed. Do consult with your doctor, if you are taking any medication. A luteinizing hormone test cost is reasonable.
If you are a woman,
- A high level of LH, it indicates you might have PCOS or Turner syndrome, both are one of the reasons for infertility.
- A low level of LH indicates that your pituitary gland is not functioning properly, you may have malnutrition, or have eating disorders.
If you are a man,
- A high level of LH indicates that you may have klinefelter syndrome, or your testicles may have been damaged due to chemotherapy, radiation, or alcohol abuse.
- A low Lh level may indicate that you have pituitary disorder.
- A high level of LH can indicate many under-lying disorders including tumor in the central nervous system, meningitis, encephalitis, and trauma or brain injury.
- Also, a low LH level may indicate many under-lying diseases such as Turner syndrome, klinefelter syndrome, cancer, eating disorder, hormone deficiency, chronic infection, and ovarian or testicular failure.
Do ask your doctor for clear information about your test result. You can book a luteinizing hormone test online as well.