Covid RT PCR test can identify the SARS-CoV-2 virus that causes COVID-19. Real-time reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), gene detection method is applied for COVID test. Book Covid 19 RT PCR Test in Thane from ICMR Approved Labs Thyrocare and MaxLab. Covid RT PCR Test Price in Thane starts from Rs. 675. We provide Free Home Sample Collection. Reports will be released within 24 hours. Report will have QR Code and is valid for domestic and international travel. You can book Covid RT PCR Test at home in Thane from our below listed ICMR approved lab partners.
All you need to know about Covid and Covid RT-PCR test in Thane
Covid has devastated the entire world in the previous three years. Millions of people have lost their and their loved ones in these years of devastation. While this is not the end of this deadly virus, recently covid-19 cases are escalating rapidly.
Covid-19 got its name because this virus was originally identified in the last days of the year 2019. But, the transmission of this virus starts to begin in the first few months of the year 2020. Considerably, the virus is originally named as SARS-coV-2, and has originated in Wuhan, China.
Here is the list of things which you should know about the SARS-coV-2 virus.
What is actually the Coronavirus disease?
The virus which causes covid-19 disease, is a new virus in the family which is responsible for severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS). Although the coronaviruses are quite common viruses, not all coronaviruses are as dangerous as covid-19 virus.
There are seven types of coronaviruses, and SARS-coV-2 is one of them. Some of them cause mild respiratory syndrome. Besides, most of the virus usually causes a common cold which is not extremely severe.
The doctors and researchers have stated that the SARS-coV-2 virus prompts respiratory tract infections. This particular virus actually causes infections in the nose, sinuses, throat, windpipe and lungs.
How many strains of covid-19 viruses are there?
In the pandemic the researchers have found several strains of SARS-coV-2 virus, which are more dangerous than the original strain. The strain names are:
How does Coronavirus spread?
Most coronaviruses are Zoonotic (the disease which is actually transmitted between animals and spreads to humans). The main source from which the SARS-coV-2 transmission had begun is still unresolved. However, it is believed that this particular virus has formed in bats.
Typically, the coronavirus spreads individual to individual through the respiratory droplets contaminating the virus. If an infected person coughs or sneezes, the droplets spread into the air, these droplets can go into an uninfected person's respiratory tract and cause infection.
The virus can also pass by touching any object or surface which has the virus on it, but it is still not proven that this is how the virus spreads. However, the virus spreads when an uninfected person comes into close contact with an infected person.
Who is at a high risk of getting infected?
You can get infected by coming in contact with an infected person, more particularly if you have been enclosed with them when they have sneezed or coughed. You are at a higher risk of getting the virus if you:
- Live with persons who have already contracted the virus.
- Are taking care of a corona infected person.
- Have sexual relation with a person who have contracted the virus.
This virus can create severe complications to the old adults and those who have certain health conditions as well. The complications are:
- Type 2 diabetes
- Coronary artery disease
- Acute kidney disease
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Sickle cell anemia
- Weakened immune system due to organ transplant
What are the symptoms of Covid?
The symptoms might arise after 2 days to 2 weeks of contaminating the virus. However, the researchers have stated that the covid might not show symptoms to some people. The most common symptoms include:
- Shortness of breath
- Cough which gets more acute day by day
- Runny nose
The lesser known symptoms are:
- Sore throat
- Loss of smell and taste
- Muscle pain
- Pink eye
- Discoloration in the hands and feet
Not everyone would have the above symptoms. Few symptoms may develop in some people, and some may have all the symptoms. Usually, the symptoms vary from individual to individual.
What are the symptoms of mild and severe covid?
Most of the people experience the mild symptoms of covid-19. The typical mild symptoms of covid-19 are:
- Loss of smell and taste
However, the mild symptoms do not include shortness of breath, and abnormal chest X-ray. These mild cases can sound mild, but it can affect you for a longer period.
Severe covid-19 cases are quite uncommon, but you should immediately call your doctor if you experience any of the following symptoms of severe covid-19:
- Continuous or persistent pressure or pain in the chest
- Trouble in breathing
- Blue face or blue lips
The Center of Disease Control is still analyzing the complete range of severe covid-19 symptoms.
How Covid disease is diagnosed?
Just like every other viral infection or flu, the Covid disease is diagnosed with a simple blood, or a tissue sample. You should immediately consult with a doctor:
- If you have high fever
- Trouble in breathing
- Having cough which is getting worse
There are several methods of diagnosing a covid-19 case, including at-home tests, and RT-PCR tests.
What is At-home covid testing?
The At-home test is considered to be used by people aged 18 and up. These types of tests are recognized as the rapid antigen tests as well as rapid diagnostic tests, and can be available over the counter without any doctor’s prescription. The test kit is included with a nasal swab. However, they claimed to give results in 30 minutes if used as instructed.
What does the At-home test result indicate?
You have to follow the proper instructions to get the proper test result. There will be two lines in the cassette, which indicates a control band (C) and a test band (T). The result will be interpreted as:
- Positive result: If a proper pink line appears in both the control band (C) and in the test band (T), indicates a positive test result. No matter how much the pink lines have faded, it will be considered as a positive result.
If you have a positive at-home test result, then you do not need the RT-PCR test for reconfirmation.
- Negative result: If a pink line appears only in the control band (C), indicates a negative test result for covid-19 infection.
If you got a negative at-home test result, and are still experiencing the symptoms then you should have to consult with your doctor. Then they might suggest that you go for the RT-PCR test.
- Invalid result: If one line appears only in the test band (T), or no line appears in any of the bands, then it will be considered as invalid. In this scenario, you need to test yourself with a new test kit.
What is Covid RT-PCR test?
The Covid RT-PCR test is the one and only test which healthcare professionals advise, because it is extremely helpful for detecting the virus. While the at-home tests are less accurate, the RT-PCR tests results are very accurate and trustworthy.
The word PCR stands for polymerase chain reaction. This RT-PCR test is a molecular test which examines your upper respiratory specimen in search for genetic material of the SAR-coV-2 virus.
When is the Covid RT-PCR test recommended in Thane?
The health professionals advise this test if you are having any of the undermentioned symptoms:
- High fever
- Extreme drowsiness
- Cough which are getting worse
- Body pain
- Loss of taste and smell
- Shortness of breath
- Runny nose or congestion
- Nausea and vomiting
Not every one of the infected people will experience all the mentioned symptoms, and not every infected person shows symptoms. So, please consult with your doctor if you are vaccinated and have the symptoms.
What is the sample collection process in the RT-PCR test?
The specimen can be collected both with a nose swab and throat swab. In case of nose swab test, the procedure goes as:
- A laboratory professional will collect the respiratory specimen using a swab (a soft cotton tip on a thin flexible stick).
- There are two types of swab, a nasal swab and a nasopharyngeal swab. The nasal swab is used to insert in the nostril to collect the sample. Besides, a nasopharyngeal swab Is used to collect the sample from the nasal cavity.
- The phlebotomist may use any of the swabs to collect the sample.
- The sample will be collected in a test tube, and will be sent to the laboratory for testing.
Covid RT-PCR Test Cost In Thane
Covid RT-PCR Test Cost In Thane is Rs.675 You can book home collection appointment with us.
Do you need any preparation?
You do not need to undergo any test preparations before the RT-PCR test. However, it is preferable to wear a N95 mask.
What does the Covid RT-PCR test result indicate?
- Positive test result: A positive test result indicates that you have an active covid-19 infection. Also, if you got a positive RT-PCR test result, then you are not required to undergo any other test for reconfirmation of the infection.
- Negative test result: If you got a negative test result, it means you might not have the infection at the time of the sample collection.
If you have gotten a positive test report then consult with a doctor as soon as possible, and keep yourself isolated from others to stop spreading the Virus.
What is the treatment accessible for Covid-19?
No specific treatment for covid -19 has been discovered yet, but scientists are still researching. Remedesivir, is the first medicine which is approved by the FDA to treat covid-19 in the pandemic.
However, the FDA later in 2022 have approved monoclonal antibody medicines to treat the covid-19 patients. The medications are:
Do keep in mind that these medications are only for treating people aged 12 and up. Covid patients experience blood clotting issues, and insufficiency of oxygen. Patients who are having breathing problems, ? steroids can help in giving them relief, and medications for blood clotting are also used to avoid blood clots.
Are vaccines for Covid-19 available?
Vaccines for covid-19 disease for adults and children are now available. In India, five vaccines are available - Covaxin, Covishield, Sputnik V, Corbevax, and Covovax. The Johnson & Johnson vaccines have recently been approved by the India government.
However, the rate of vaccination for Covishield and Covaxin vaccines are relatively high in our country.
Preventive measures for covid-19
As discussed before, vaccines for this virus are essential, but we also need to take a few preventive measures to keep us shielded from this virus. Here are some things which we all need to follow:
- You are required to wear a proper face mask: Wondering why wearing a mask is important? Because if an infected person coughs or sneezes near you, you might get the virus. As the mask will cover your nose and mouth, wearing them will safeguard you from deadly viruses.
- Do clean your hand with soap and sanitizer: Cleaning your hands is the most essential thing of all. Because we had to touch several things on a day to day basis, including door knobs, faucets, switches and sinks. These things could be contaminated with viruses, this is why, if you are at home, clean your hands with soap and water. And if you are at a workplace or outside, keep an alcohol based sanitizer to disinfect your hands.
Apart from the two things, as per the covid guideline, we need to maintain the 2 meters of social distance or physical distance as well. Also, if you suspect that you are exposed to the covid-19 virus, then quarantine yourself, for the good of your loved ones.
The time is extremely dark for everyone, we are all aware of the news of the deaths around the world. During this time we need to stay mindful, and calm. Falling apart is not the way to fight against the virus, we need to work unitedly.
So, take all the precautions to keep you away from the virus. Besides, if you or your close ones are affected by the virus, do not be frightened away, just follow your doctor’s instructions. Do not forget that the recovery rate is also getting higher day-by-day.