What is diabetes?
Diabetes or diabetes mellitus is a dreadful disease that acts on your body’s capability of producing and using blood sugar (glucose). Blood sugar or glucose is the major source of your body’s energy, and our body requires energy for every work. Our pancreas produces a hormone called insulin, which assists your body to exploit glucose for energy.
Hormone insulin also helps in moving blood sugar from your bloodstream into your body cells. When your body does not make enough insulin or the insulin is working properly as it should, this can cause your blood sugar level to go high. Increased levels of blood sugar in the blood is considered as diabetes. Diabetes may cause nerve damage, heart disease, kidney disease, and eye issues as well. In some cases, diabetes can be very lethal.
What is the purpose of diabetes tests?
Diabetes test help to evaluate the measurement of blood sugar level in your blood and urine. diabetes blood test helps in diagnosing of these following health diseases:
- Type 1 diabetes: When your body fails to produce enough insulin or cannot produce insulin at all, this situation is considered as type 1 diabetes. This condition occurs when the immune system attacks the cells which are responsible for the production of insulin. Type 1 diabetes is also known as juvenile diabetes, as this mainly starts from childhood. However, this diabetes can also occur at any point in your life. People with type 1 diabetes should take insulin doses daily.
- Type 2 diabetes: The most known type of diabetes is type 2 diabetes or adult onset diabetes. With type 2 diabetes, your body does succeed in producing little insulin, but your body cells fail to respond well to the insulin. Type 2 diabetes can be caused due to genetics or for certain lifestyle factors. This condition mostly affects adults, but it can also develop in children as well.
- Gestational diabetes: Gestational diabetes only occurs during a pregnancy period. There is a chance that gestational diabetes patients may also develop type 2 diabetes later in their life.
- Prediabetes: When your blood glucose level is elevated but not too high as diabetic, this situation is considered as the prediabetes state. Without any proper medication, prediabetes may turn type 2 diabetes in the foregoing ten years. Also, some lifestyle changes may bring down the high blood glucose level to normal.
When should you go for a diabetes test?
Your doctor may suggest you to go for a diabetic profile test, if they suspect that you have developed diabetes. Although early diabetes may not show symptoms, symptoms of type 1 diabetes appear fast and are severe, and type 2 diabetes symptoms appear late. How would you know whether you may have developed diabetes? Here are some symptoms of diabetes:
- Unintentional weight loss
- Increased appetite
- Escalated thirst
- Frequent urge pee
- Hazy vision
- Sore or cuts that are slow healing
- Tingling sensation in the feet
There are also some risk factors for diabetes:
- If your age is over 45
- If you are physically active
- Have heart disease or hypertension
- If you have diagnosed prediabetes
- If you are overweight or obese
- If you have family history of diabetes
- If you are a woman, have had gestational diabetes or have PCOS
5 top tests for diabetes:
- Fasting blood sugar test: A fasting blood sugar test is used to measure the amount of glucose in the blood after overnight fasting. For fasting blood sugar tests, you may need to fast for at least 8 to 12 hours. This fasting indicates that you cannot eat or drink before the test.
- Hemoglobin A1c test (HbA1c): A hemoglobin A1c test is one of the most common and recommended tests by medical experts. This test aids to give the approximate measurements of the blood sugar, which are attached to red blood cells of the past two or three months. The specification of this test is, this does not require any fasting.
- Oral glucose tolerance test: To appear in an oral glucose tolerance test, you need to fast overnight. After your blood sample is taken, you will be given a sugary drink. When you have drunk the sugary drink, after two hours a fresh sample will be taken.
- Random blood sugar test: A random blood sugar test can be done at any random time, and this test does not require any fasting.
- Urine test: Some medical experts highly suggest urine tests to diagnose diabetes. However, urine tests are not always used to diagnose diabetes, your doctor may give you urine tests to determine whether you have a high risk of developing diabetes.
Do you need any preparation for the diabetes test?
Fasting for diabetes tests depends on what type of diabetes test you are going to take, or you are recommended to take. If you are appearing in the fasting blood glucose test, or in an oral glucose test, then you are required to fast for 8 to 12 hours before the test. Besides, if you are going to take a hemoglobin A1c test, a glucose urine test, and a random blood sugar test, then there is no need for fasting. Also, urine tests for diabetes do not require any special preparation. Knowingly, diabetes test price is minimal.
What you may expect during a diabetes test?
First, you have to sit calmly in a chair, and a medical expert called a phlebotomist will clean the inside area of your elbow with a cotton ball. Then they will insert a thin needle into a vein in your arm to collect the blood sample. After collecting the blood sample, they will store it into a small lab test tube. The total time of the blood collecting process will take less than 10 minutes, except the oral glucose tolerance test. Besides, in a urine glucose test, your doctor will recommend you an at-home test kit. An at-home test kit has test strips, which you will need to grasp under your urine stream. The test strips will change color as per your glucose level.
Is there any risk of diabetes tests?
Blood tests are very common and also necessary to diagnose any disease. Typically, there is no severe risk of taking blood tests. However, you may get slight bruising and ache in the sight, where the blood has been taken. All bruising and pain will ease between two or three days.
Result interpretation of diabetes test
Reference ranges of the tests may vary depending on the laboratory you will prefer. However, the approximate ranges are:
- Fasting blood glucose test: Normal range of this test is less than 100 mg/dL. If your glucose level is in between 100 - 125 mg/dL, then it indicates prediabetes. If your glucose range is equal to or over 126 mg/dL in more than one test, then it indicates diabetes.
- Hemoglobin A1c test: The normal range of HbA1c test is less than 5.7 percent. If your glucose level is between 5.7 to 6.4, then it indicates prediabetic stage. If your glucose level is equal or higher than 6.5, then it indicates diabetes.
- Oral glucose tolerance test: Glucose level lower than 140 mg/dL is considered as normal range. If your test glucose level is between 140 and 199 mg/dL, then it indicates prediabetic situation. If your glucose level is equal or higher than 200 mg/dL, indicates diabetes.
- Random blood sugar test: Glucose level equal or upper than 200 mg/dL, indicates diabetes.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
What is a diabetes checkup package?
A diabetes checkup package is a health checkup package prepared by Thyrocare, which contains health tests that can help you get the presence of diabetes detected in your body quickly.
How can a diabetes checkup be helpful?
Diabetes is one of the most common and harmful diseases. No matter whether you are suffering from type 1 or type 2 diabetes, the disease can make you fall sick critically. This test package can help you get the presence of this disease detected in your body and take necessary medical actions at the initial stage.
Why should you go for a diabetes checkup package?
There is no other genuine way to detect the presence of diabetes as reliable as the tests that come with a diabetes checkup package. This is why if you are suspecting that you may have diabetes or your doctor has recommended you to go for a diabetes test, then you must go for this test package to stay away from risks.
How can I book a diabetes checkup package ?
Just through a few clicks, you can book a diabetes checkup package from anywhere.
What is the payment process?
You can make online payments to book the test package.
Are the test reports reliable?
Thyrocare is well-reputed for using modern medical technologies as well as experienced professionals to generate pathology test reports and test result accuracy is always their prime concern.
What preparations are required to appear for the test?
10-12 hours of fasting is required before you appear for this test.
Can I get the diabetes checkup facilities at home?
Yes you can now get the facilities of home sample collection. Just book the test package and choose the slot when a healthcare professional will arrive, that’s all.
How are the samples collected?
One expert will arrive at your home to collect necessary samples at the pre-chosen slot. Once the process is done, the samples will be carried in the laboratory.
How long does it take to generate the test reports?
It takes 24-48 hours to generate the test report.
What do do after the test reports are generated?
If any abnormality gets caught in the test report, don’t waste time and consult a doctor and seek medical attention immediately for diabetes treatments.